I love the New Year! Isn’t it amazing how towards the end of December you can be so exhausted and feel like you are in a rut, maybe even overwhelmed. You’re tired of that treadmill of life . . . then suddenly, the calendar turns a page and it is January. Everything is fresh and bright and exciting and there’s a chance for new beginnings and new adventures.
It’s a new dawn,It’s a new day, It’s a new life – and I’m feeling good!
Like many people every January I take time to dream, to write down my goals and plans for the coming year. I genuinely love this time and the passion it invokes in me… but then (insert bright, hopeful, motivational music interrupted by needle scratching across record, oops!) life happens once again. The new goals and dreams are put away never to be seen again. Life crowds out the things you realise now are only in your dreams and another year goes by (so incredibly quickly) and you don’t even remember what you have even accomplished or done of any value!
If you resonate with above, here is one way to make a change to all of that: CREATE A VISION BOARD!
First of all, “What is a vision board?” you may ask. Basically, it is a physical or digital collage of pictures, words and sayings that mean something to you; that evoke feelings and connect to your dreams, desires and goals. The collage can relate to physical things you want in your life, goals you want to achieve or even the person you want to become. When creating the vision board, it is important to first decide on what exactly you are envisioning, giving it focus and also allocate a time frame from 6months, 1 year to 5years time.
HERE ARE 5 REASONS TO CREATE A VISION BOARD:
1. Time To Think. It actually takes a fair bit of time to create a vision board and to think through what is important to you and what you want to focus on for the new year. This is really important so that instead of just reacting to what life throws at you from day to day you can be proactive and determine what you want out of life and what you want to give back before you get distracted by other peoples plans for your life. It is also a great way to de-clutter your brain and organise your thoughts.
2. You visualise your goals daily. Instead of writing down your goals and putting them away never to be seen again, your goals are before you every day prompting you to action, motivating you to stay the course and overcome any obstacles. Where your eyes go your body usually follows. This enables you to always keep your eyes on the prize.
3. Connects your emotions to your goals. A reason many goals are never accomplished is they are boring, they don’t excite you or create emotion. A vibrant, colourful emotive vision board can do this making sure those new years resolutions don’t fail.
4. Helps you to dream big! The action of creating a vision board connects your left and right brain. It helps you to tune into your creative self and encourages you to dream bigger and to think outside of your comfort zone. Another reason people don’t reach their goals is that they are too easy, not challenging enough or motivating enough. A vision board can certainly rectify this.
5. It’s fun! Sharing this experience with others not only is enjoyable and relaxing, but it also gives you the opportunity to share your dreams with others. When you verbalise your goals with others it makes you more accountable to make things happen. This is a good motivator when you need to take actions that are difficult or boring or when obstacles get in the way.